Thu Jul 20 2017

Temperature control

I'm having intermittent failure on the temperature control. Sometimes it sticks on and cools the rotor to -18 degrees, sometimes during runs if fails to kick on the compressor and the temperature goes up to the limit and shuts the run down. Is there a relay that might be stuck or would this be a faulty temperature sensor? There are 2 sensors, one for air and one for the chamber temperature. Thank you.

RE: Centrifuge Report Post
Thu Jul 20 2017Reply from MedWrench MM
MedWrench MM

If you need immediate assistance, our Centrifuge sponsor Ozark Biomedical may be able to assist you. Just be sure to tell them you were referred by MedWrench.

Jonathan F. Payne,
Media Manager @ MedWrench,
866-989-7057,
Jpayne@MedWrench.com
Thu Jul 20 2017Reply from Jeff M

Yes there is a relay that could be sticking, it's a big one on the back of the machine, visible by taking the back cover off, along the top edge of the upper half in about the middle. Are you seeing Fault 7 when it shuts the run down? My initial suspicion there is the refrigeration system, but with alternatively overheating and overcooling it could be something else. I had the 5V power supply fail on one of mine and it made the compressor go snaky, hammering on/off rapidly, because the logic wasn't getting the right supply. The 5V supply is also on the back, behind the cover, top right corner. You should get 5.2V, anything even slightly less is faulty. I never definitively connected the Fault 7 with the 5V supply, but the compressor problem was for sure and I've been told by a highly experienced Sorvall tech that the 5V can cause all kinds of weirdness. There's a service manual linked under Product Details to the left under the machine photo, and I've sent a larger one with circuit diagrams and parts to the site to post with it. The OEM 5V supply is a Fortron/Source SU40P31L-AZ. I used an Artesyn LPT42 - exactly identical. 

Fri Jul 21 2017Reply from MedWrenchManager
MedWrenchManager

You can find a service manual under the documents section, here.

Sat Jul 22 2017Reply from rmagnus_5396

Thanks Kaylee and Jeff.  The manual was very useful.  The flow charts indicated it was Relay K101 the large one to the left of center near the top.  It was stuck in.  I wiggled it and it came out partially, allowing the compressor to cycle normally, but the fan stayed on.  Some more wiggling and it came out all the way and seems to be cycling normally.  Is it kosher to put some WD-40 or 3-in-1 oil on the slide? 

Jeff - I wasn't getting any fault number.  I did do a diagnostic from the manual and found both temp sensors were reading correctly.  I looked for the 5V output but only found ~12 volts on two of the pins I checked, and zero on the other two.  Does it need to be spinning to get the 5V or did I miss the correct contact or board?

Finally, does anyone know if the K101 relay is a generic part still available (and where) or was it specific to these centrifuges.

Thanks again.  Ron

Tue Jul 25 2017Reply from Jeff M

You're welcome, Ron.

Here's the spec sheet for the low voltage supply, with pin-outs. You should see 5V as soon as you power on the 'fuge.

http://www.fspgroup.com/Catalog_PDF/Open%20Frame%20Switching/SU40P%20Series.pdf

I've never replaced K101 so I don't have a cross-reference for you, but I think it's a common 24V power relay. You should be able to get an ID off the relay itself. Probably Furnass or Potter & Brumfield (now Tyco, I believe), PRD-11DY0-24 maybe.

Jeff

Tue Jul 25 2017Reply from rmagnus_5396

I did find the 5 V pin - it was putting out 5.08 V on my cheapo meter, and since all was working ok after WD-40 on the relay, I figured if its not broke, don't fix it. There is a little screw next to it that I'm assuming might adjust the voltage?

Thanks for the info on the relay - I'll look at it again.   Thermo (or whoever owns them now) wants over $400 for it, so if I can find the part elsewhere, that would be great.  Seems to have two outputs, one for the compressor (all in) and one for the fan (all in and partially in).  Don't know if that's on purpose or just because mine is getting stuck halfway out.

Tue Jul 25 2017Reply from Jeff M

VR1 does adjust the output, so if you can get a clean 5.2V or better go for it. If you can't you can try replacing all the aluminum electrolytics and adjust for 5.2, it worked for me. Otherwise you're only out $42USD  for a new supply. You will have trouble with 5.08V.

https://www.digikey.ca/products/en?keywords=Artesyn+LPT42&cur=USD&lang=en

Mon Apr 30 2018Reply from fadler_7691

I have determined my RC-5B problem is the temperature sensor.  Does anyone know where to get one?  Please advise, fadler@genbio.com

Wed Aug 04 2021Reply from Richard Galambos CET
Richard Galambos CET

I am with Fadler_7691 - Any idea of a replacement for the Air Temperature sensor?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Please review our Privacy Policy for more details.
I Agree