Fri Sep 22 2017

Sterilizer Chamber Life Expectancy Lifespan - Steris - Getinge - Primus - Amsco

Hey there old timers, As you may know sterilizers are sometimes rebuilt or refurbished then resold. The main component (the chamber) is usually cleaned and pressure tested n stuff. My question is if anyone has heard of a chamber having a "Life Expectancy" If so what is the range that it is expected to last? Or is this a ploy to sell more autoclaves. Thanks guys!

RE: Sterilizers/Autoclaves Report Post
Mon Sep 25 2017Reply from Cipher
Cipher

I don;t think this is a gimick to sell more autoclaves, although it may feel like it.  All autoclave pressure vessels -chamber (really considered a boiler per FDA)  have a finite life.  Various factors such as steam quality, clenaing, maintenance (or lack there of), and the number of pressuresations/length will have a direct impact on the life of the pressure vessel. Corrision is the deal breaker and when it happens around welds or at a weld itself, its usually turns out to be cost prohibitive to go though the process of having it welded, the weld non-destructive tested (NDT), and having the chamber hydrostatically tested/recertified.   There is no guarantee that such a repair would pass and I believe you will be hard pressed to fin anybody to guarantee such.  I've read articles in the past  that a chamber subjected to 2.4 bar (~34 psi) has an average life span of 15,000 cycles.   Assuming 3 to 4 cycles per day,  365 days a year,  would make the average chamber life expectancy to be between 10 to 13 years.  Take away day or cycles and you extended the life out quite a bit.   I've seen sterilizers go nearly 30 years in service though and still run perfectly, however; I'd be remiss to say that I doubt they were running 3 to 4 cycles- 365 days per year.    Great question and I look forward to reading other responses.   Maybe somebody could find an opinion straight from ASME?   - Cipher

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Please review our Privacy Policy for more details.
I Agree