Wed Oct 11 2017

Charging Issue

First off, we had to replace the batteries as they were due for replacement. After replacement, the portable started having a problem with the breaker tripping. Prior to reaching a full charge, the breaker would trip. We calibrated the Battery Charger and now the charging meter does not reach full charge, stopping at two bars before it reaches full charge and the message never appears stating that the batteries have completely charged. We did the volt meter calibration before the battery charger calibration so I don't understand why this is happening. No matter how long we wait, the display never indicates that the batteries have completely charged. We checked FIL/KVP and the Input power to the Charger Board, connections to LVLE and CPU as well as battery voltage. Checked KHZ Board connections and -- +24 Volts, recalibrated the unit and still does not reach charge complete status.

RE: Mobile Radiography Report Post
Wed Oct 11 2017Reply from Cipher
Cipher

You stated you performed the CAL VOLT METER  procedure, but you didin't say if you performed the CAL GENERATOR procedure right after the for the volt meter calibration?   This is critical, especially if you had a +/- 0.2V differerence between the voltage display when compared to actual battery voltage measurement during the CAL VOLT METER procedure.   - Cipher

Wed Oct 11 2017Reply from Cipher
Cipher
I read over your problem again and I think the cause can be described as: the internal capacity meter and the capacity displayed (batteries) are out-of-sync. This can indeed happen when a new battery set is installed followed by a volt meter calibration, just as you described. The % capacity displayed is catching up to the internal capacity meter. One of the remedies you mentioned already was to charge until the "CHARGE COMPLETE" is displayed, which in your case never happens. The other solution is to use the built in LOOP TEST diagnostic tool and force FF into a particular address location to get the % capacity display back to normal. The procedure I have works with certain firmware with certain Controller PCBs. I can't speak to other combinations. I'm not sure if Medwrench will post the procedure or not (it's not a GE document), but lets see.

Thu Oct 12 2017Reply from AJ_Diaz

Yes, sorry, we also did the Cal Generator calibration, still giving the same issue. We will have to try the LOOP TEST tool as you described. Is it possible to email me that procedure? 

Thu Oct 12 2017Reply from oldxrayguy

Okay, as I was driving down the highway I was monitoring replys to your situation.  I happened to be talking with Master Yoda, a 40 year GE field engineer and support guy.  We have two thoughts for you...Cipher may be on to something.  If you load defaults it will reset the battery metering routines which will then require a full re-calibration.

However, before you do that make sure you don't a) have a bad battery and/or b) there is not a poor connection with your new battery pack.

You should have a battery test strip.  Make sure each batter is within 0.2 volts of all the others.

I don't know where you bought your batteries but Yoda and I agree that Holden Battery service is as good as they come.

Good luck,

Thu Oct 12 2017Reply from Catfish

I have had that problem many times. I'll give you the procedure to correct that.

1. Begin with service switch in run mode (up position) and power on machine.

2. The boot sequence will began, after 3 second flip service switch down for diagnostics mode

3. Use KVP buttons to scroll the option until you see diagnostics mode the press MAS down to enter.

4. The system will prompt you for pass word which is MAS up MAS down KVP down KVP up (in the formation of a backwards U).

5. Continue by using KVP buttons to scroll to the system diagnostics option and press MAS down to enter.

6. Use KVP buttons to scroll to loop test and press mass down to accept. I will ask you for an address.

7. The address is ocb4 then press mas down. (Enter numeric values by pressing KVP UP and Alphabetical values by press KVP down.)

8. Press Mas up for HEX

9. Press KVP down for write and press mas down to accept

10. Then you will need to type FF and mas down to begin the looping process

11. Once you see looping on display hit mass down3 times and us KVP to scroll to end service and follow instructions.

Thu Oct 12 2017Reply from Cipher
Cipher

This morning, I sent the step-by-step document that Catfish spelled out in his reply, to the MedWrench Admin.  I was informed that they are running behind on posting docs.  The backwards U mentioned in the step 4, can be confusing to some.  In order, the backwards U button press is:  MAS up arrow, MAS down arrow, KV down arrow, KV up arrow.   - Cipher

Mon Mar 13 2023Reply from www.PI.solutions
www.PI.solutions
Tried what catfish said. It’s saying “looping” but hitting mAs down 3 times doesn’t do anything. Only hitting mAs up ends it.

Jamison Ashby, MBA

Owner: Precision Imaging solutions

www.PI.solutions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Please review our Privacy Policy for more details.
I Agree