Tue Jan 02 2018

Pm procedure

What is the pm procedure for a baxter vigilance II monitor

RE: Cardiac Output Unit Report Post
Tue Jan 02 2018Reply from Naka

per Edward Lifesciences there is no PM. Email me winston.piohia@cshs.org and I will forward you the letter they sent me. Medwrench does not allow document uploads to this dialog box.

Tue Jan 01 2019Reply from smitrk

Is it possible i can get the letter as well?

Kind Regards,

Tue Jan 01 2019Reply from LRF

Hello, I would have to disagree with generalizing that no maintenance is required on what may be considered a high-risk device. If we do a little reading in the operator's manual it says this (Section F7):

"Preventive Maintenance - Periodically, examine the exterior of the monitor for general physical condition. Verify that the housing is not cracked, broken or dented, that everything is present, that there are no spilled liquids and that there are no signs of abuse. Routinely inspect cords and cables for fraying, cracks and recessed pins, and assure there are no exposed conductors. Periodically conduct a test of the Patient CCO Cable (see section 14.4)."

True, this may be considered the duty of the operator, however, a conscientiously designed AEM program would incorporate this into their own routine PM on the device. Furthermore, one should employ the application of clinical engineering industry's best practices (i.e. electrical safety testing, alarm settings/performance, integrity of EMR or other device integration and full consideration of the clinical or research use at a facility, the individual facility CMMS historical report on the device, etc...).

I also have the letter from Edwards Lifesciences, nevertheless, salespersons use this as a tactic to make it appear that this equipment requires little or no attention (Medtronic, Covidien and other mfgs have similar "no maintenance required" letters). Bear in mind that manufacturers profit due to the quantity of consumables the device uses rather than the hardware service aspects.

I wish you the best in your endeavors regarding matters of this nature.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Please review our Privacy Policy for more details.
I Agree