Mon Apr 16 2018

Repair Costs for Ritter Exxam Chair

What would I typically expect to pay to have the tilt & back cylinders replaced on my Ritter exam chair? Parts? and then Labor?

RE: Power Report Post
Tue Apr 17 2018Reply from Ron Burgandy

It is a Ritter 75 Evolution fyi

Tue Apr 17 2018Reply from AJ_Diaz

RPI carries these cylinder kits.

Both kits run approx. $400 each

Labor varies but I'd say $150/hr seems average. If you are replacing both at the same time, you'd be looking at 3-4 hours minimum so the total would be somewhere in the ballpark of $1250-$1400.

Tue May 01 2018Reply from JK3

I am in Healthcare Plant Ops/Maintenance and had to replace the Lifting (Up/dwn) cylinder on this same model table. The cost for the cylinder kit was $399.50 @ www.rpiparts.com, and $15 for a bottle of oil that you may or may not need depending on the situation. Or your pharmacy can order one in next day if you have this resource. (This was the cheepest site of very few that i found.) Midmark just used Mineral Oil for these systems for it is odorless, colorless, and won't stain like typical hydraulic oil. It took a few hours for the cylinder I did, but that's making sure it's supported correctly so it doesn't fall on your head and cleaning up all the oil from a hose that was broken also. Oh yeah and all the screws for the panels just to get access. Labor cost I have no idea but imagine it would be expensive knowing typical costs of healthcare equipment/service. All in all it's not a tough job if you’re a service person or maintenance you should be capable. Just when looking for parts use the model number (mine is 119) and not the 75 evolution. This is just an upholstery/styling option and the above website company will send you a manual if you need one. It's very helpful for schematics and assembly diagrams. These tables are obsolete and Midmark no longer carries parts. Their customer service lady was very helpful and knowledgeable of this unit’s history and some repair hints. Such as the fill level is the screw on the end of the pumps tank, & have all cylinders retracted to check level. Overall a very well built table if you can keep it going, over 20 years and just now a broken hose and bad cylinder valve. Hope this helps.

Wed May 15 2019Reply from Ron Burgandy

It's been awhile, but thank all of you for your help in answering this question! Perfect!

Tue Nov 12 2019Reply from Chris-CBET

i can do both cylinders in under an hour, not counting time to clean up. Where are you located?

RPI carries cylinders, most companies(mine included)have a markup, travel is based upon where you are located in relation to our office, and labor runs typically $125

Wed Nov 13 2019Reply from Ron Burgandy

Ok, job was completed. Thanks to all regarding this issue I had, plus I found the service manual here which made it much easier. I think every hydraulic hose of that chair passes through the tilt cylinder, it was by far the "bear" of the job! I had all the parts ready and the chair was unplugged and panels removed. The top of this chair with the tilt cylinder removed, can easily chop off fingers if your not careful. I had to tilt the top back to get at something (cly was already loose), when I thought it was sitting back down, it was actually resting on a hose that suddenly popped out...it slammed down just one inch away from my finger...if my finger had been there...geezz. The chair bottom was full of leaked oil, some of the zip ties needed adjusting and I also cleaned up the dust and debris while inside. Overall, the job was a success, and is working great again. While I am not an expert on these chairs, I am very mechanically inclined. With the learning curve removed, this job would have taken me about 3 hours, because I wanted it done right. Plus I cleaned out the cly mounts, re-greased them so no squeaks. Since chair was lifted to the highest point, I made sure that the lift was propped so it didn't suddenly do something I'd regret...very heavy as in "lights out" heavy. I would not have wanted it done in less than an hour or two, as things that needed tending to would have been passed up. Safety would have likely not been a priority, nor would a good overall check have been made while the panels were off. AJ_Diaz got the time right to do it right!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Please review our Privacy Policy for more details.
I Agree