Fri Feb 08 2019

Steam generator trips the breaker

The Steam generator breaker keeps tripping. The hot water fill pump cycles off, then the element contactor actuates also the hot water pump kicks on again then both chatter for a moment and the breaker trips. All parts and questionable wiring have been replaced to eliminate the breaker from tripping. The initial issue was the steam generator will not heat because the breaker tripped. Steris is confused can't find the problem. WTF, any ideas?

RE: Sterilizers/Autoclaves Report Post
Fri Feb 08 2019Reply from Ray Brown, CBET

Has anyone measured the current draw on both legs with AmpClamps? Or maybe the breaker is getting weak, maybe the wiring at the circuit breaker has some nicks or something in it to cut down the instatenous current draw.

Sat Feb 09 2019Reply from Cbet_Matt
Cbet_Matt

All suspected wiring has been replaced. Breaker is new. ACV level is constant even while the chattering is happening. Heater V is off. If the coil to the contactor is out of circuit the pump contactor chatters.

Matt

Sat Feb 09 2019Reply from Samer aljeiroudi

Sir i turn the system off more than 5 hours

And then i turn it on  again .

The system complet booting and error 

E93 appear

Sat Feb 09 2019Reply from Cbet_Matt
Cbet_Matt

I have shut the unit down multiple times for days and no error codes. Just the normal notice of drain cycle timing 

Matt

Sun Feb 10 2019Reply from Nicola Beh

Hi,

I have had a simialr fault with a RO water purifier. A short in the pump caused the voltage supply to lower, powering the microcontroller to turn off the control signal to the pump. creating the start of a on-off-on power cycle. the power was restored and the microcontroller sent out a control signal to the pump again resulting in low power levels again repeating the on-off-on power cycle again. In faultfinding I disconnected the pump and the fault didn't appear.

Hope you find the fault.

reagrds

Nicola

Mon Feb 11 2019Reply from Kara Crissman

Dear Matt D.,

We came across your post about the AMSCO Century Steam Sterilizer. We have a dedicated Service Support team who can help. Please provide us with your preferred method of contact or call 1-800-333-8828 for assistance.

Sincerely,

STERIS Corporation

Wed May 15 2019Reply from Chris35

Chattering water contactor - Replace the contactor or the entire Warrick water level control

Chattering heater contactor - Replace the contactor or pressure control switch

Tripping main breaker (3 phase) - High amp draw from contactor or loose connections, or shorted element. With all power OFF, check OHM's between each wire terminal on element (can also read across the bottom terminals of the contactor) should read similar. (~7 to 15 OHMs depending on voltage) 2 sets of 3 if 208V, 1 set if 480V. Verify you read OL from all terminals to ground. If the main doesn't trip immediately when the contactor pulls in, but does after a few seconds of heating, that is almost always a bad contactor.

Another note, if properly operating, the heaters should kick in BEFORE the water pump turns off. if your pump is turing off before the heaters come on, there is definately an issue with the water level control system. Most likely fouled probes. The water level probe (closest to front) sits in a removable well that can easily clog. I recommend removing the well and cutting the elbow off the end of it to help relieve this issue. The heater probe (rear) should be the longer of the 2, hence the heaters come on before the pump goes off.

Parts List - Yours should be a CHS 30KW Century

Mon May 20 2019Reply from Cbet_Matt
Cbet_Matt

The only thing hat has not been replaced to do with the boiler is the heating element.all cabling has been traced, Drivers and powersupplies have been tested. Put it this way. A Steris GURU is having an issue with it now.

Matt

Mon May 20 2019Reply from Chris35

Exactly which breaker is tripping? The 3 phase high voltage? or The 15amp white button on the side of the steam generator control box? (Was formally a fuse, depending on age of your unit)

Mon May 20 2019Reply from Cbet_Matt
Cbet_Matt

Per Steris its a time delay 10 Amp.Yes, its been replaced. All items to do with the boiler have been replaced except thre heating element. It rings out good and not grounded.

Matt

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Please review our Privacy Policy for more details.
I Agree