Wed Mar 20 2019

infusion pumps

We will soon begin looking at new infusion pumps for our hospital. I'm hoping for input from anyone who has purchased pumps recently. What kind of pumps do you have, and are you happy with them? What are the pros and cons? Thanks!

RE: Infusion Pump Report Post
Wed Mar 20 2019Reply from bele
bele

Hi,

I have been working or repairing all types of infusion pump for last 12 years from B.Braun pumps, Hispora, Alaris now known as BD CareFusion pumps all of them have advantage and disadvantage but for me the best infusion pump i can say is Alaris infusion pump because parts are available from third party for repair and also easy to repair and easy to push a drug library throughout network once and connected wireless and Specifically, most smart infusion pumps: disadvantage

•Are not assigned to individual patients

•Are not associated with intended therapy

•Cannot prevent wrong drug selection

•Do not intercept drug mix-ups

•Often operate independently of other technology

If you are intersted check out the website about the product.

https://www.bd.com/en-us/offerings/capabilities/infusion-therapy/infusion-system-devices/alaris-pump-module

Bele - Official MedWrench Guru
Tue Mar 26 2019Reply from RDWilliams

I have worked extensively with many different brands of infusion pumps.  The Alaris/Carefusion/BD pumps are the most verssatile that I have worked with.  They are easily expandable to accomodate multiple infusions per patient along with infusion of pain medication with oxygen saturation monitoring.  Repair parts (OEM, refurb, and third party) are easily available from multiple third party vendors and BD (occasionally have to wait on backordered parts when they switch vendors). 

In regards to the comments from Bele..

•Are not assigned to individual patients

•Are not associated with intended therapy

•Cannot prevent wrong drug selection

•Do not intercept drug mix-ups

ALL of these problems can be addressed by implementing the Alaris pump interoperability.  This can link the Alaris server with your current EHR system.  When this is activated, the pump identifier can be scanned and associated with the patient by scanning their MRN or other identifier.  This allows an infusion order to be entered in to the medical record of the patient through the EHR system.  This order can then be sent to a pump associated with the patient.  When loading the disposable set to program the infusion, it checks the infusion against the order in the EHR.  If there is a discrepancy, it forces an acknowledgement of the difference and needs an action taken to reset to the ordered settings, or an explanation of the deviation.  While this cannot eliminate drug mixups, it greatly reduces the chances for human error.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Please review our Privacy Policy for more details.
I Agree