Mon Dec 02 2019

Squeaky when rotating

Issue seams to be when rotating the handles wheel mechanism squeaks. Any recommendation of whaer and should I lubricate or grease and with what thanks.

RE: Microtome Report Post
Mon Dec 02 2019Reply from Paul_8779

It squeeks only when rotating manually,  correct?

Paul Firnschild

QA Support Services, Inc.

Atlanta, GA 

Mon Dec 02 2019Reply from Marc ex-Kidney tech

Automatic as well. I can pin point where the spot is because if I hit the squeak spot and go back and forth manually I can feel it. 

Mon Dec 02 2019Reply from Paul_8779

3 possibilities exist for the origin of the noise.  first the less complicated remedy:

The linear bearings/guides.  These sometimes cause a high pitched and faint metallic rubbing sound if not lubricated.  You can access and lubricate these easily via access holes on the bottom of the microtome. 

Position the instrument with its top surface on a work table.  This will expose 2 holes positioned approximately centrally on the base and about 80mm apart.  They are about 15mm in diameter. 

Rotate the handwheel to witness the linear and vertical reciprocating movement of the components through the holes.

Use a dropper or similar applicator to apply several drops of light machine oil to the components through the 2 holes. 

The other 2 possibility require disassembly of critical components and are outside my ability to describe in this venue.  I offer professional service in this area and invite you to contact me directly if the need arises.

Paul@Firnschild.com

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Please review our Privacy Policy for more details.
I Agree