Mon Dec 23 2019

Reset button / Over Heat light

The unit was working fine and heating the water to appropriate temperature. I changed the water over the weekend and it heated the water to 120 degree then overheat light at the back turned ON. I tried to reset the unit by pressing the reset button but light comes back on as soon as I release the button. I lowered the thermostat to all the way down but the light (above the reset button) come back on as soon I turn the thermostat dial slightly.. What could be the problem ? Temp Thermostat or over-temp cut off (reset) switch assembly ?

RE: Hot Pack Unit Report Post
Mon Dec 23 2019Reply from Phil_RPI

Try jumping the over temp switch. That leaves the temp. control.  

Mon Dec 23 2019Reply from Ranjha

How do you jump the over temp switch?

Press and stick it under the metal plate ?

Mon Dec 23 2019Reply from Cipher
Cipher

I believe Phil is talking about using a "jumper wire" (of appropriate gauge) witht the ends of the wire connected across each terminal of the overtemp sensor (the jumper wire will have alligator clips on each end).   This way the overtemp sensor is essentially closed and the overtemp light should not come on.   If the overtemp light still comes on, then you likely have a faulty thermostat assembly which is causing the heating element to turn on all the time and thus overheating the water.   The overtemp sensor is there (in circuit) for such an occurence.   Hope this helps.  - Cipher

Thanks for the detailed instruction Cipher..

The unit is not heating the water at all ( forget about over heating). The over temp light comes ON as soon I turn the thermostat ON ( to the lowest setting)

After by-passing the over temp switch, the unit started heating the water.  
Is it safe to assume the over temp switch is faulty and replace it or temp thermostat could be at faulty as well ?

Mon Dec 23 2019Reply from Cipher
Cipher

Safe bet it's your overtemp sensor then.   No harm in letting the unit get up to temp to make sure the thermostat cuts off at where you set it at.     Since you are bypassing the overtemp sensor with a jumper, I would keep an eye on things while doing so just to make sure the thermostat does not send your unit into a "run away" heating scenario.   You could end up boling water :)   - Cipher

Thanks for your help guys!!

Happy holidays !!!

Mon Dec 23 2019Reply from Statbiomed

The overtemp switch is faulty 

Thu May 13 2021Reply from phillipo

Hi I was curious if one of these chattanooga hydrocollator machines have ever malfunctioned like you said...the water can boil...& cause a third degree burn on a patient?

Thu May 13 2021Reply from Statbiomed

The user therapist or Doctor would be responsable to check the device temprature and apply the appropriate amount of covers and towles between the patient and the pack,  The user should not use the packs from a device when they have noted the water boilng 

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Please review our Privacy Policy for more details.
I Agree