Tue Aug 18 2020

Brand new broken motor mounts on Instrument

Hello, I have been trouble shooting the subject problem for many hours and have not come up with a definitive answer to the broken motor mounts. The original crash I investigated bent the motor mount ring and OOB sensor bracket. It also cut the Rotor sensor cable. After replacing the broken and bent parts the instrument tested perfectly over an hour and a half over a wide range of tests. Two days later I get a call that the rotor is angled to one side and a noise was heard before the rotor crashed again. The motor bearings are smooth when spun and the problem only happens during braking. Any help would be greatly appreciated. PS I suspect the problem may stem from either K1 or K2 and will check them the next time I am on the instrument.

RE: Centrifuge Report Post
Wed Aug 19 2020Reply from Ben C
Ben C

What is the name of the manufacturer and model of the equipment you are working on?

Find me on FacebookLinkedIn, YouTube or Twitter 

Thu Aug 20 2020Reply from Merlin123

Hello, 

Sorry, Gmail has been blocking your site for some reason.  I answered your question yesterday but it never made it.

The Instrument is a Beckman X-22r  built in 2000.

Thu Aug 20 2020Reply from Ben C
Ben C

Ozark may be able to assist. 

Find me on FacebookLinkedIn, YouTube or Twitter 

Thu Aug 20 2020Reply from TRS

I would start by disconnecting X2 from the main pcb.  If you measure the brake resistors through the plug, you should measure approximately 165 ohms.  Secondly, if the main pcb has the transparent K1 and K2 relays, inspect them for arcing.  If either one of these or both are identified as questionable, I recommend replacing the main pcb (our part number is 10129). Thirdly, as a precaution, I would check with the lab personnel and inquire about running balanced loads and whether loads are exceeding allowable parameters for instrument. Additionally, you mentioned having to replace the imbalance sensor.  I have to ask, but was the imbalance recalibrated / checked following replacement of the sensor?   And lastly, it is always a good idea to inspect the rotor, rotor trunnions and buckets for wear and proper lubrication.

Please give us a call at 1-800-457-7576 if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Fri Aug 21 2020Reply from Merlin123

Thanks for your advice!  I had a feeling after looking over the schematics that there is a possibility of the K1 and K2 relays arcing or sticking could cause the problem I was experiencing.  The instrument is still in the lab but I will start these new test procedures once I can get my hands on it.  I plan to recheck the error table again to see if anything new was reported.  Thanks again.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Please review our Privacy Policy for more details.
I Agree