Wed Oct 19 2022

Bed deck does not want to raise

I am disabled and bought a Hill Rom P1900 Total care bed from a govt auction. The bed work fine for a few months but has now stopped raising almost entirely. At first I thought it was a hydraulic fluid issue. I had my brother check the fluid level and he said that with the deck and head etc down the fluid level was just barely below the "A" level and that when we was able to coax the bed up it was right around the "B" level. What is happening is that when the deck up button is pressed there is an initial jump of a fraction of an inch and then it slows to a stop as the motor continues to whir. If we continue to press and release the up button we can get the bed to slowly raise after many short jumps with the foot being higher than the head. With the bed in the down position I can lay in the bed and raise the head only in a reasonable fashion and the knee raise function works but seems very slow and sometimes take a couple of tries to initialize. I tried ordering some hydraulic fluid to see if adding the little bit that it is low would help, but everywhere I have found it has been either out of stock or has a $25 shipping for a quart of oil. I have 2 questions 1. Is there an off the shelf hydraulic fluid I could use that want be so expensive? 2. Is there any other ways I can troubleshoot and possibly fix my bed? I would appreciate any help offered. I saved a long time to get this bed. I injured my spine and cannot lay flat in a bed so I spent 11 years sleeping in recliners. I don't want to go back to my feet hanging off of a foot rest again.

Equipment: Hillrom - Totalcare P1900

RE: Bed Report Post
Wed Oct 19 2022Reply from Chris-CBET

Its an isolated, $20 at home depot

Mobil dte24, Texaco rando HD 32, shell tellus32. 

Any of those are equivalents

I don't think you have a fluid issue, I can send you the service manual, whats your email?

Wed Oct 19 2022Reply from Chris-CBET

Also, where are you located, If your in my area I'd be happy to come help you free of charge. We could all use some good karma

Wed Oct 19 2022Reply from Palehorse95

That is a very thoughful and generous offer. I am located in Northeast Tennessee.

I come from a very DIY family , so even if I'm not near you, Any suggestions you could give would be very much listened to and appreciated. 

I have downloaded a manual for the make and model of bed and I'm curently familarizing myself with it's parts and functions. 

Wed Oct 19 2022Reply from Kenneth V

It sounds like you could have air in the cylinders/hydraulic system (was the bed put up on end duing transport?). do any other functions work correctly,do you hear gurgleing sounds when running the bed up? the manual will tell you to bleed the hydraulic system to ie; run each function all the way up then hold that function for another 20 seconds try that then recheck fluid level,  if not that and if only the hi-low is not operating you likely have a stuck pilot valve on the manafold that would need to be replaced (look for label on top of fluid reservoir) replacing the valve not a easy task.

also it is a MUST to securely support the bed (brace both of the hi-low cylinders) before opening anything in/on the hydraulic system Hill- rom makes and set of braces just for this.

wish you well, 

I'll check back when I can

Wed Oct 19 2022Reply from G5 SUPPORT
G5 SUPPORT

Hi, 

It could be the plunger or solenoid on the manifold that controls all the motors and hydraulics. I would go that route just because its easier to replace and more cost effective. I hope that helps you if you need any more help you can always email me at support@g5-medical.com 

We work on these beds all the time. 

Wed Oct 19 2022Reply from Palehorse95

I may be missing some replies, as the main page is showing that there are 5 replies to my post but when I click on the link there is only one reply from Chris-CBET asking for my location. 

Wed Oct 19 2022Reply from Emily Vitkovitsky
Emily Vitkovitsky

If you are in need of immediate assistance please feel free to reach out directly to our sponsors. They are happy to help.

Integris Equipment

MERCO Biomedical

Just be sure to tell them you were referred by MedWrench.

Tue Nov 22 2022Reply from Palehorse95

Kenneth V,  G5 SUPPORT, and Chris-CBET. 

Thank you all for taking the time to help me out. I'm sorry it's taken so long to reply but fr some reason this site shows that I have new replies but I can't see the actual replies until after I check back several times and they show up. 

Chris-CBET , I would greatly appreciate a copy of the repair maual. my email is Palehorse95@chartertn.net

My brother did top off the hydrolic fluid and it did not help, since then the knee bend function has stopped working, leaving only the head raise and low the only movement that is left functioning. The air mattress seems to be working fine.

I'd really like to get my bed funtioning properly again, as keeping my knees bent slightly help greatly with my pain. 

When I get the manual, and when my brother can make it back over (he lives a couple of counties over from me), I plan on checking out the reccomendations from Kenneth V,  and G5 SUPPORT. 

Thanks again everyone for help me , a perfect stranger. 

If I can't fix it DIY I may come back here and ask for reccomedations on a repair company in my area. 

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Please review our Privacy Policy for more details.
I Agree